Saturday, January 2, 2010

Learning From The Little Autism

iNot long ago, I unpacked the files in MP4 which I use. There's enough voice recording files that I keep in here.

Not recording of  my voice when singing but my recording of interviews with several sources related to the client at hand.I playback most of it but not until the end. Some of the recordings that are no longer needed I delete immediately so as not to full capacity.

I was silent a long while when listening to my interview with an elementary school teacher in an inclusive school around the beginning of the year 2009. A middle-aged women who handle first-grader for 42 children with three autistic children in it. Without teachers for children with special needs who can attend each day. My impression of him: he was so enjoying his job as an educator.

Previously, I went to Erzam, boys with special needs who diagnosed autism.He was already 8 years old, but still sitting in class 1. He was small, his eyes are always moving and unfocused, straight hair, and dry skin.

I tried to attract his attention, but certainly not an easy thing to deal with autistic children, especially me who are rarely dealing with cases of autism. Erzam so busy rubbed his nose, clapping his hands, and ignoring the friends around him. I greeted him, but again I was ignored..

Slowly, I took her hand, but still no response.His classmate handed me a book and pencil . "This, ma'am, Erzam belongings," as he said. I took a pencil and try to put it in Erzam’s hand.

He took the pencil and then twirled the pencil on the tip of his hand. I led him to write something, "Come, let us write your name Erzam ..." But only a few moments,  Erzam is not focus again and repeatedly wiped his nose. Then he mumbled to himself, then clapped his hands.

Without I realise, there was a warm grain catch my eye. I could not imagine the feelings of parents who have children with a diagnosis of autism, how they are doing a lot of struggle to raise and care for her child.

I touched when I return to talk with his teacher. How a child who called autis become into an enchanted child for teachers and friends.

"If we sing in class, I always call Erzam and ask for his friends clapping for him. Erzam looked delighted and immediately go to the front of the class. Good son, not like the annoying friend, but I do not have time to give special attention to him than many of my students in this class. I am eager to give more attention. "

"Wheter his friends happy and able to accept the presence Erzam, mam?" I Ask it because remembering that he is a child with special needs and may not be able to communicate well with his friends.

"Oh, his friends have a good time with Erzam, because he's goodboy. Whatever he sitting in the back, but no friends keep away from him. Although he can not play together, but children can receive Erzam. "I admit that since I saw some of his friends busy finding books and pencils in his bag when I look for him. I believe when some boys with gentley greeted his shoulder and his cheek with a smile .

His  teacher continued. "Erzam have really good intelligence capabilities. He can memorize things quickly even better than their classmates who still can not read. "At a break, I went to him while he with his nany and her sister outside the classroom.

His little brother already sit in class 2 today. some of his classmate’s parents also were gathered  while spoon feed to her child. I also sat down on the floor with them. Apparently mothers were happy with Erzam. They asked about Erzam’s memorizing vocabulary in English.

"Erzam is smart, just hard to communicate with others. He's read fluently, my son is still hard to read. "A mother admiring Erzam and smile. Others just smile and say hello to Erzam.

In my heart, I appreciate parents who are able to receive an inclusive system in schools, where their normal children have their classmates with special needs and may be slightly different from them. Because out there, there are many parents who are reluctant if their children are combined with a child with special needs such as autism.

I had blurted out to Rio, Erzam’s little brother whose now sit in class 2. "Does Rio love his brother Erzam?". Rio nodded and said "My brother ..." with a slight smile and stroked his brother's head. Again, my heart thundering heard that innocent comment.

Well, I even still remember the details of the incident that day, where I got a lot of lessons from a child diagnosed with autism. Child who is so hard to establish communication with others, can be a figure of fun for the teacher, his friend, and loved by his little brother.How his limitations are not reducing the quantity of happiness that he can share for other people.

All people grow and develop in different ways and are to be inappropriate for us to force other people behave, act, and judge something like what we do. Erzam Like, maybe he can not follow the rhythm of social life as their peers, but he has a way to love others and give a smile to those around him.

We had the right to have our own way to live this life and certainly do not need selfish to hope that one will do as we are. There are many ways to be happy, just as there are many ways to be useful for others.

I decided to keep the recording of interview about the Erzam in MP4. One day maybe I need to hear it again, so I still can remember that we must learn to accept ourselves and others what it is.

by Hayati-Rahmah 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP